What is Methodology?
- A system of methods used in a particular area of study or activity. Methodology is a systematic way of doing something. Method and ology and as we know any word ends with “ology” means a subject of study or; a branch of knowledge
Is Agile a process, methodology or Software lifecycle?
Agile is a product development approach (it is not a methodology) and there is no single “Agile”. It is a collection of values and principles about software development. Most importantly, it is a huge mistake to call it or think of it as a project management framework.
Agile is a process by which a team can manage a project by breaking it up into several stages and involving constant collaboration with stakeholders and continuous improvement and iteration at every stage.
The overall goal of each Agile method is to adapt to change and deliver working software as quickly as possible. As an example, the full Agile software development lifecycle includes the concept, inception, construction, release, production, and retirement phases.
The four core values of Agile software development as stated by the Agile Manifesto are:
- individuals and interactions over processes and tools;
- working software over comprehensive documentation;
- customer collaboration over contract negotiation; and.
- responding to change over following a plan.
The following 12 Principles are based on the Agile Manifesto
- Our highest priority is to satisfy the customer through early and continuous delivery of valuable software.
- Welcome changing requirements, even late in development. Agile processes harness change for the customer’s competitive advantage.
- Deliver working software frequently, from a couple of weeks to a couple of months, with a preference to the shorter timescale.
- Business people and developers must work together daily throughout the project.
- Build projects around motivated individuals. Give them the environment and support they need, and trust them to get the job done.
- The most efficient and effective method of conveying information to and within a development team is face-to-face conversation.
- Working software is the primary measure of progress.
- Agile processes promote sustainable development. The sponsors, developers, and users should be able to maintain a constant pace indefinitely.
- Continuous attention to technical excellence and good design enhances agility.
- Simplicity–the art of maximizing the amount of work not done–is essential.
- The best architectures, requirements, and designs emerge from self-organizing teams.
- At regular intervals, the team reflects on how to become more effective, then tunes and adjusts its behavior accordingly.
What is Framework?
- A basic structure underlying a system or concept
- Framework provides us with a guideline or frame that we can work under.
What is Process?
- Process is a step-by-step structure, with milestones and stages
- A series of actions or steps taken in order to achieve a particular end.